Monday, October 3, 2011

Indulgence: Vegan Ice Cream Sundae


 
Smooth, rich ice cream, whipped topping, chocolate sauce... How am I going to give this up?

As I transitioned to the vegan lifestyle I knew the things I'd miss most.  Turns out I don't have to miss anything at all! Vegan ice cream products sure have come a long way since tofutti.

Today, I put together a vegan sundae with some of may favorite vegan products: So Delicious Chocolate Velvet Soy Ice Cream, SoyaToo Rice Whip and Organic Chocolate Sauce.  All these ingredients are available at most local Whole Foods markets.

Nowadays, most larger grocery chains, like Ingles, Stop & Shop and Shaws, will at the very least carry dairy-free ice cream brands. My current city of Brighton, MA, even has a local ice cream shop called 3 Scoops that offers homemade vegan ice cream choices.

After years of taste-testing dairy-free frozen desserts, I'm happy to share my results!

Top Dairy-Free Frozen Desserts

 
Purely Decadent - The vegan answer to Ben & Jerry's. Pint-sized packages of soy milk or coconut milk-based ice cream mixed with tasty treats like cookie dough, peanut butter, or chocolate-covered almonds. The coconut milk-based options have become very popular as of late. They are sweet and yummy, but for a richer, more traditional ice cream-like taste, go with the soy. This brand is produced by Turtle Mountain, which also makes So Delicious. Try the Mocha Almond Fudge!

So Delicous - This is a great choice if you plan on slathering on the dairy-free whipped topping and chocolate sauce. This brand also makes some delectable mini ice cream sandwiches.

Larry and Luna's Coconut Bliss - Creamier than the Purely Decadent coconut milk desserts, but with fewer interesting flavors. One distinct bonus is that this brand is all organic!

Tempt HempMilk - I once devoured a pint of the mint chip helpmilk product.  However, if you're just starting out as a vegan and not used to the taste of hempmilk, try above options first. 

Almond Dream - Great texture. Limited flavors. You may also want to try making your own almond milk ice cream. 

RiceDream - I find this has an unpleasing aftertaste and tend to stay away from it. 

Tofutti Frozen Dessert Products - Edible, but they have a strange chemical-like aftertaste of which I'm not a fan.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment